Aug 30, 2010

Creativity at its finest

Saturday evening was a fairly quiet one for us - Don was reading his book, I was knitting one of the furry felted mittens that I've been making (I think I might actually get a pair for myself this time, lol), Josh was in the Toy Room building with his Lego and Charlotte was in the livingroom visiting with Don & I while working on her latest project.  ˚Ü˚

I absolutely love how creative our children are - a while ago, Don and I were asked how we instill creativity in our kids ..... I think the main thing is to not stifle it.  When our kids make something, we don't tell them that they've done it wrong .... we tell them what a fantastic job they did with whatever they were making and that we are so proud of them for taking the initiative to take on the project that they did.  Granted, sometimes the baking doesn't always turn out .... but it is a learning experience - if we berate their efforts or try and take over the project, they won't want to try anymore.

So, as I mentioned above, Saturday evening Charlotte was working on her latest project .... she decided that she needed a new pillow on her bed (I think she collects pillows, lol).  She took a fabric bag that was handed out by our local bank during this years parade, cut the handles off, did some embroidery on it, stuffed it and then sewed it closed (I gave her some tips on the sewing because she has been struggling with that):

This is the back of her pillow - the original front of the bag (I smudged out the towns name).

Here it is, all stuffed and sewed closed - I think she did a great job on it.



This past week, the kids finished up their first Province for their Canada Unit Study - Josh had been working on Saskatchewan and Charlotte had been working on Nova Scotia ..... this week they are starting Alberta (Josh is doing this one) and Prince Edward Island (Charlotte is doing this one).  Our goal is to have them do each one of the Provinces and Territories by the end of the school year - so far, they are off to a great start.  ˚Ü˚  In the side bar (on the right) I'll update which ones they have done - they won't be in the proper order of where they are on the map, it will be listed how they complete them (that's why there is a bunch of ticks without words beside them).  ˚Ü˚

No comments:

Post a Comment