Aug 14, 2010

Finished another Prayer Shawl

A while back I started knitting a semicircle shawl - I had crocheted one before and wanted to try knitting one.  My criteria for it:  I didn't want anything lacy (I do a lot of knitting on Prayer Shawls during the Service at our Church - so it couldn't be a pattern that I really needed to concentrate on).  A friend of mine on the Prayer Shawl group that I'm part of, let me know how to start this type of shawl and asked to see pictures when I was done.

Sooooo, I have been knitting on this item for a bit and I start wondering, "how am I going to edge it?"  The shawl is in garter stitch (knit every row) and I really didn't think that a fringe would be the way to finish it off - fringe looks great on a triangle or rectangle shawl, but I just didn't think it would go with a semicircle one, kwim?

Anyway, yesterday I finished knitting the shawl and tonight I finished binding off and weaving in the ends - it felt like it took forever to do the binding off.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out (for not really having a pattern to go by, lol).  If I was to make another one, and if I had enough yarn to do it, I would make the ruffle just a bit longer (it's 2 1/2" and I think another inch or so would look really sharp on it).  Not sure why, but the pictures are making the shawl look kind of orange instead of the bright red that it actually is.



2 comments:

  1. What a timely post! I just ordered two prayer outfits from a Muslim website because I can't sew/knit/crochet to save my life. (Yet. This will be remidied.) For some reason I had this strong feeling that I should wear a shawl over my head when I pray and I kept thinking, "Am I crazy or something?" But it really does seem like the right thing to do.
    I love that shawl ~ it's very bonnie. Why did you choose bright red? Is it for use at home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much - I actually had a lot of fun making that one.

    When I get ready to make a shawl, I go to my stash and see what I have there - I try really hard to use my stash yarn before I go and buy more yarn. I had three balls of the red yarn and really felt I needed to use it for that shawl.

    Nope, it wasn't made for use at home - I started a Prayer Shawl ministry at our Church. Shawls are made and donated by members of the congregation, they are then passed out (by our Pastor) to those in need (whether from the loss of a loved one, going through a divorce, etc). It is a small way that we show our congregation that they are loved and important to us. ˚Ü˚

    I hope you'll post pictures, on your blog, of your prayer outfits when you get them - I would love to see them. ˚Ü˚

    ReplyDelete