Sep 30, 2010

Latest Project Pics

Yesterday was such an amazing day for us - the kids finished their schoolwork on time, watched a movie (while I finished up a pair of mittens), then we went to the library, came home & had supper and I took Charlotte to her new babysitting job .... it was her first time babysitting at this home (and her second time babysitting), so she wanted me to be there, just in case - I asked the Mom (she's a very good friend of ours) if this was okay and if I could do some felting while I was there (she said yes to both).  Soooooo, while Charlotte babysat the kids, I did some felting and was basically just decoration, lol.

Last year (at least I think it was last year) I started making, what I call, furry felted mittens - I had seen a picture of them on the Internet, done up in blue (they reminded me of Cookie Monster, lol) and decided that I really needed to see if I could make a pair of these.  I tried it and it worked out fantastic - to date, I have made (and sold) 10 pairs of these mittens.  ˚Ü˚

On to the pictures of the last ones that I've made - as well as the new dryer I have for them once they are felted:

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


Here are two of the pairs on the new dryer - I can't believe that it took me so long to (1)figure out to use one of these and (2)to get one, lol.

This thing is fantastic - you place the items on it and set it over the register, when the furnace kicks in, it blows warm air into the mitts (or whatever else you need to dry) and dries them on the inside ..... I think I need a couple more of these, though.  ˚Ü˚

Here are mine - these ones are waiting to go on the dryer.  Not sure if you can see it, but after they were felted, I flared out the cuffs .... I did this because I want them to go over top of the sleeves on my winter coat.  I tried them on over a pair of fingerless mitts that I had made and they are soooooo comfy - now, when I have to take my furry mitts off to do something, my hands won't be so cold (my fingerless mitts didn't fit very well under my last pair of bulky type mittens).

This pair has been sold - I used light blue wool and the multi-coloured fun fur .... I think the colour combo turned out pretty nice.

I had a hard time getting a picture that showed the shading in this fun fur (that's why I posted two pictures of them) - it's kind of silver and black together.  The wool that I used was a darker grey - it went very well with the colour of fun fur used.  These ones are also sold.

Now, I'm trying to figure out a pattern to make double-knit mittens ... it's got me stumped right now, but I'm going to keep playing with it and see if I can figure it out.  I emailed the designer and he hasn't gotten back to me - sooooo, I've enlisted the aid of some fellow knitters on one of my knitting groups.  The advice that they've given me is pretty good and I think that once I get a chance to actually sit down and try them all, these mittens will no longer be beating me, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment